Saturday, June 9, 2007

We both must be waiting

Last month I hung a Fushia basket on my front porch in the hopes of seeing some Hummingbirds this summer. I have buds on the plants just about ready to open so my hopes of seeing these elusive little creatures has been running high.

This morning I was out on the porch inspecting the progress of my Fushia when I saw what at first looked and sounded like a very large bee until it stalled in mid-air. There he was - the Hummingbird checking out the Fushia right along with me. He hovered by the basket then faced me and it was as though he was thinking "Soon, I'll be back soon."

Well my little friend, I'm looking forward to your return and I hope to see you often.

To me, this is what summer is all about - being outside and enjoying whatever nature has to offer. Summer is also all about knitting for me. I know many people put down their needles when the warm weather arrives. Not me.

OK, I won't be working on a heavy wool throw, but the socks and other lighter projects give me something to work on when it's too hot to do anything else. It sort of gives me a head start on Christmas and other gift giving occasions that will come up.

My Griffindor Scarf has passed the halfway point. This is such nice, mindless knitting that I have a hard time putting it down. Everyone needs a project like this every so often. Don't you agree?

No comments: