Saturday, June 23, 2007

Rights of Passage

Last night was a big night for my grandson. His school held a graduation ceremony for the sixth graders who will be going on to middles school next September. Now I know this is not exactly a high school or college graduation, but important nonetheless.

I've worked with the children in my grandson's class for the last two years as an art docent and I am so proud of them all. I couldn't help but wonder what the future holds for these young people and I realized that for some of them this might be the only graduation ceremony they will participate in and for others they will go on to do and become great things.

I couldn't help thinking about myself last night either, about my accomplishments, and yes, some of my regrets.

My regrets were small. I would have danced more, I would have sung more and I would have participated in protests against the Vietnam War.

As far as my accomplishments, I am very proud of my children and I adore my grandchildren. My family is the heart and soul of my life. After that come my many friends. I wouldn't want to be without a single one of them. This is very true of the friends I have made since opening the yarn shop.

Where can a person find nicer people than those who like to create, people who reach out to share their gifts with the less fortunate and with those they love.

When folks come into the shop looking for projects to start, it seems that nine times out of ten, it's going to be a gift for someone else. It could be for the hairdresser's baby that's on the way, a grandchild, socks for hubby or more charity knitting. I find myself applauding when someone says that they are finally going to make something for themselves.

In our goodness towards others, we often forget that it's important to be good to ourselves as well. We forget sometimes that other people depend on us and want what's best for us too.
So on your list of projects, make sure that you find your name on that list. Do your best work wear it with pride, whether it's a scarf, a pair of socks or a gorgeous sweater that took months to make. You deserve it, we all do.

No comments: